I got my results from my CT Scan and they were not good. They were actually worse than I could have expected. The tumors in my lungs have grown and now there are more. There is also a new .5 centimeter mass where my right kidney used to be. I don't even know how to put my emotions into words except, I'm devastated. Beyond this crap though, I feel great. All of my blood work came back healthy and my lungs sound great nor do I have shortness of breath or pain.
I had an appointment with my onc in Tucson and his recommendation is a clinical trial that is testing a breast cancer chemo against an approved melanoma chemo (ABI-001 vs. DTIC). It is a radomized study. I'm not confident in this treatment option as there is another drug that is proven to be successful with Melanoma. The drug was suposed to be approved by the FDA Chrismas Eve, but they postponed it until March 2011 to get additional data. There is an open study for this drug at MD Anderson in Houston, TX. My Uncle Art and Aunt Diane live there and I know they would take care of me if this is where I need to be for treatment.
So, anyways, this is a difficult decision and I am seeking other opinions to make sure that the treatment we choose is right for me. I'm hoping to get an appointment with The Mayo clinic in Scottsdale. I faxed them my medical records Tueday night and I hope to hear from them tomorrow. Also a wonderful friend of ours, Jaci, is helping us find other opinions through her contacts in the world of cancer. We are so grateful for all she is doing for me.
Any of the treatments that are available will wipe out my immune system as well as possibly kick my butt with numerous other potential side effects. I could be in treatment for the next 6+ months. Because of this I have to quit my position at the Pre-School and this Friday will be my last day. I am so sad to have to leave. As one of the teacher's (Miss Laura) put it, it is my happy place and it will be hard to leave such great co-workers (who really are a second family) and great children and their families. Friday will be a hard day for me.
Due to the spreading of my cancer, I am having an MRI of brain tomorrow. We need to ensure that this nasty stuff hasn't made a home there as if so that would be a totally different treatment. Should have the results on Friday.
I am praying for guidance in my decision and healing.